Monday, May 10, 2010

Broken Hearts

My heart is hurting this morning for my little Jaydon.  A couple of older kids (7 year-old) have been mean to him lately...until he offered them some of his popcorn.  Of course, they were nice to him for the food.  But then the meanness starts again.  So now he associates gift giving with making/keeping "friends".  He was counting his money this morning and setting it aside to buy his "friends" things, so they would be nice to him.  I tried to explain that those kinds of "friends" are not true friends, and that he should look for other kids to play with.  He cried...and so did I.  So, how do you explain this life lesson to a 5 year-old, before he gives all of his money and toys away and is left with nothing?  As an adult, you don't expect to have your heart broken so easily, but I guess as a mother, your heart breaks every time your child's heart get broken. 

No comments: